INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Morrison T/D Recurve  (Read 758 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison T/D Recurve
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »
Boy,was Bob ever right,"this one is real pretty Curt,I think you'll like it".That was a huge understatement!As I finished putting it together in my living room,I couldn't stop smiling.
 I had been wanting a Morrison for a while.Spending at least a little time almost every week checking out all the bows on the website.Finally, I came into some "mad money" and I called Bob to see if I could try one out.A few days later I had one in my hand.It was a "B" riser,"B" limb lefty.Right off the bat I could feel the difference in the preload on the string from my current bow(she was tight).This bow was 58@26",I was drawing it to almost 28".At around 64-65# it put a 540gr, cedar through the chrono at 195fps.The bow was still pretty smooth even though I was drawing it almost 2" past what it was tillered for.Still didn't feel like it had hit a wall.After a couple days of shooting it,I was on the order list.I was gettin' a Morrison!!
 So, here I was putting it together.Looking it over I could not believe not only how beautiful it was,but the fit and finish was flawless.I've come to find out that Bob puts one heck of a tough finish on these bows.
 The sleek little "A" riser(15 1/4")is carved out of Macassar Ebony and has a highly figured Bacote flare(that has since turned a deep dark honey color).The overlays on the back of the riser are Bacote and Mesquite.Bob also added Bacote patches on the belly side of the riser to,(as he put it)"dress it up a little".The low wrist grip has 1/2 pinecone carvings.Something I definatly recommend.
 The limbs,ahhhh...the limbs.They are Bamboo cores with Wenge wedges.They're tipped with black and white fiberglass.They have a honey stain fade on the belly and a sweet pr. on Canebrake Rattlesnake skins on the back.If ya got the extra money go for the skins(he also has eastern+western Diamondback,and Copperheads),Bob does an awsome job with them and they're great natural camo,and they're just cool.It is tillered for my split finger style,and is 60@27.At my draw,28",it is 63#

I was now ready to start tuning it to find the right arrow.I had previously ordered a bare shaft test kit from Rogue River Archery(fine cedar shafts and fine people to deal with).I quickly found out that this bow liked a very stiff shaft.Went right up the ladder and ended up with a well tuned,slightly weak,slightly nock high,100#spine bare shaft.Just gotta give it what it wants,not what you might think it should it should shoot.This is just what I found with this bow and my shooting style.It may not be the norm.
Through the chrono with a 560gr. cedar it avg.'s around 190fps.,she's pretty quick  ;)  .
 It came with a fine high tech string,but to be honest I can't remember what it was.With only yarn "puffs" on the string,it is very quiet.Shooting with Shawn Leonard recently,he said that he thought it was "the quietest recurve he has ever heard".
 Like I said earlier,the bow is 60@27" and I am drawing it 28".The extra inch doesn't seem to make a bit of diff. in the smoothness of draw.Seems to tighten up a bit at 29" though.Never gone beyond that,and this is only a 58" bow.Part of this can be attributed to the short "A" riser and the longer "C" limbs.The "B","B" combo that I tested might have been a little quicker,but not quite as smooth.
 Bob Morrison is a fantastic guy to work with when ordering a bow.He is a fine gentleman and will help with any questions you might have(lord know I had a "few").Give him a call and try one out,you won't be dissappointed.Now I just need to get another one  :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morrison T/D Recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »
Whoa there Guru - you gonna be "in a state" like me - LOL Blessings falling on ya, buddy!   :thumbsup:
I agree about Bob and his bows too, for sure.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »
i have had several of Bob's bows and they all were great shooters but my favorite is the 1 pc arapaho recurve. very lightweight and very fast. i also have a takedown that has a longbow style riser that i like. and if you decide to sell yours, i am a lefty also.Mike

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »
Guru,
I'd be interested to see how many other Morrison recurve shooters require heavy spine compared to the draw weight of their bow.

Like yours, mine requires some heavy spine arrows. Mine is only 54# recurve @28", 60" take down.  I have to shoot a minimum of 70# spine arrows.  :0  

It really came to light when I changed strings and had a D-97 built to Bob's specs and started using OL's tuning guide.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Huntrdfk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
I agree on everyone's take on Bob's recurves.  Mine was 50@28", and the bow is beautiful, fit and finish next to none.  I sold it only to finance the purchase of a new one, which should be here in a couple of days.  This one is a Cougar.  I check his site daily to admire his work.

David Kretschmar
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »
Yeah, that's a purrty one....looks just like one of mine   :D
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline snakebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
Glad to hear the positive feedback on Bob's bows. I've got a Cougar 64" 49# @28 on order and decided to dress it up with copperhead skins. I can't wait to get it, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.Anyone have any advice on a good bow stringer so I don't torgue those beautiful limbs?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
Snakebow, I'm sure Bob will hook you up with one.Just ask him.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Sagittarius

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Really pretty bow, Guru.

Sag.
Trails End Bows

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »
Guru,

That is a gorgeous bow.  I love bocote in the riser of a bow.  The copperheads are a knockout!!

i have a Morrison T/D recurve on the way to me.  It is sort of plain Jane compared to yours.  However, there's no such thing as a plain Jane Morrison bow!

The following is a link to some pics of mine that I pulled from the Morrison website;

http://community.webshots.com/photo/131891079/131891311NHTqml  

The riser is black and wine dymondwood and the limbs are dark stained amberboo.  It should be arriving today.  It is B riser and C limbs, 60", 55#@28".  I will be drawing it around 27".

I picked the bow up on the way home from work.  I put about 15-20 shots through it.  My observations:  the bow is very quick, very, very quiet and absolutely dead in the hand.  It was hitting about 6" high for me at 10 yards.  I shot it in the backyard this morning, 6 shots, at 10 yards and put all the shots within a softball sized circle.

I was using 2 tapered cedar arrows, 2 tapered poplar arrows and 2 Carbonwood VMaxx 3000 arrows.  It seemed to like the Carbonwoods best.  They flew like lazers and were grouped within 1-1/4" at the very center of the softball sized grouping of all arrows.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »
The one thing I like about the little A risered D limber is that it points VERY fast for a recurve.  I almost forget I'm shooting a recurve.
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©