INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Woodpecker Drill by Simmons  (Read 516 times)

Offline longbow54

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodpecker Drill by Simmons
« on: February 13, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used the woodpecker drill & bolts made by Jerry Simmons ,I hunt a lot of hardwood trees,and screw in steps wear me out by the time I get them in. I would use some of the lightweight stick ladders but mostly hunt public land where theft might be a problem, I'd appreciate any info good or bad.

Thanks,
Todd
Pick a Spot

Offline Broken Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodpecker Drill by Simmons
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »
Todd  I have been using the woodpecker drill & bolts now for about 4 Years, and like it very much. It will keep people out of your stands. I have about 19 putup stands and I use it on most of them. It is a whole lot cheaper then buying screw in steps for each stand. Tommy

Offline longbow54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »
Tommy, how much effort does it take to drill in to a tree like a water oak. Do you use the bolts by simmons or use something else and also do you have to take something with you to drive the bolts in or can you just push them in by hand.
 I usually start putting steps in this time of year and clear shooting lanes then place stands and re-trim in august. But also would like to be able to have everything I need when scouting during bow season to pop up a stand and hunt it right then without wearing myself out and smelling like a boar hog. Appreciate any info.

Thanks, Todd
Pick a Spot

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
I have the "treehopper"  system, which I THINK is the same thing. I opted for the bit only and use a battery powered drill. It works great! Mike
Black Widow PLIII  62", 49#@28"
Black Widow TFII 60", 45#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Offline Broken Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »
Todd  It does not take to much effort, but you will need the climbing belt. I like mike use the drill bit with a battery powered drill most of the time, but carry the hand drill. I have had to drill out ice a time or two. And if you drill your holes this time of year they will grow up by hunting season, and you will have to drill new ones, and with the hand drill it does not take up much room, and you can move a stand befor or after a hunt if you need to with out carrying the heavy drill moter. You can buy the same bolts around town for 1/3 the price, I have a few sets. The bolts will slip in and out easy if you don't let the holes grow up. They will not grow up durning hunting season.

Offline longbow54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 08:23:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna give one or the other a try. Haven't seen the treehopper sysyem yet,(their web site is currently under construction). Todd
Pick a Spot

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »
Dewalt 14 volt drill with a 3/8" auger bit.  Use 3/8" spikes in the holes.  When you come down, remove the last 6 spikes.  No one can use your stand unless they have spikes with them.  Also you can get a leather drill holster.  This allows you to park the drill while climbing

Works great
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Bowlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »
I ordered the hand drill, which is really crazy in my case since I have every woodworking tool made, old or new.  What made me do it was that I can see situations where i might throw up a stand, and hunt right away.  I figure the woodpecker will be quiet, annd will drill the correct depth.  When I get the unit, I will set up a twist drill on a 9.6 system for setting up permanent stand locations where the setup is done well in advance of the season.

Offline Cedarslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »
Been using the treehopper Drill and bolts for about 5 yrs. LOVE IT !!

Offline joel smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 12:57:00 PM »
not sure how long I've been using the Woodpecker hand drill but at least 10. It's great to have in your pack in case you find that you need to fine-tune the location of a stand when you climb down that morning (i've usually got mine about fifty yards from where it should have been). It's very quiet, doesn't take up any room in the pack, doesn't take much effort and doesn't tear my elbows up like twisting in screw-in steps. Just another example to prove the best hard-core hunting gear is designed by a hard-core hunter
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »
Todd,
You will like it. I have used Jerry's system for 15 years. It gives you great flexibility in stand placement. I usually take the last 4 steps out to keep uninvited guests out of my stands.
If you buy bolts around town, go to a specialty hardware shop that carries the high grade 3/8"x 6-7" HARDENED bolts. The cheapies from Home Depot will bend and are dangerous!
JC
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »
Just had to bring this back up.

I have used the Simmons belt for years, always using treesteps to hang stands and leave them to hunt later. I hunted on leased land. Well this year all my lease land was sold and I was forced to hunt public land. There are some storys to tell just with that but I'll spare those storys  :scared:  

So I called the guys at Simmons and ordered me a handful of bolts and used the entire system for a solid 3 months almost everyday I hunted and have to say that I am really impressed. I hunt alot of lobblolly pines and was worried about the soft wood but had NO problems with it. Its drills deep enough to not be a problem. The drill goes to the same depth because of a collar that lets it got only so far. What I learned was once you hit that depth to do one or two more rotations on the drill and PULL the drill out, that pulled out and shavings and left a clean hole for the bolt to slide right in.If I used the same tree alot some of the holes got alittle "spongy" but I would just drill another hole nearby. Hardwood trees were a piece of cake.

I used ezy treesteps for years and about the only "problem" comparing the 2 is that you can screw a step in alittle quicker than you can drill a hole for a bolt but its not that much of a difference. Just the difference in the weight you carry into the woods of steps vs. bolts will offset the time factor. It was nice going in the woods without 50 lbs of steps hanging off your hip!! I use a loc-on spirit with a rope attachment and with the bolts and belt things pack thru the woods ALOT lighter and with less noise and hang ups than my high dollar Lone Wolf climbing stand!!!

I just wanted to let anyone who was thinking about trying it that it works and is a great investment, plus the guys that own Simmons are some 1st class gentelmen and know their stuff  :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Duane J Williams,MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
used it and belt >10yrs. SAFE,light--I no longer use bulky climbers that are heavy and awkward. With my locon windwalker(5-3/4lbs) or limit(7-1/2lbs), I can hunt and scout all day and be ready to climb or shoot at any time. Just wish Loc-on still made those two---they are irreplaceable.
Duane

Online rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
Duane...those stands are being made again.  Check the vendors list for Bison Gear...they are selling them.

Offline Duane J Williams,MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, GREAT NEWS DICK. dUANE
Duane

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
Been using the Simmons System since about 1988, and still love it. Jerry was always a pleasure to do business with. Try it you will like it. Worth the investment. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
I have been using the same Woodpecker drill, since the 84 season.

My primary way to climb is with tree climbing spurs. But, if I think there is any chance that I'll climb a certain tree more than once during the season, I'll use the Woodpecker drill.

It's everything that everyone has said and more. It's probably the safest way to go up a tree and hang a loc-on Stand.

It takes about 10-15 seconds to drill a hole and once the bolts have been removed it's almost impossible to see that the tree has been drilled.

On the return trip, to hunt a drilled tree, is when you really appreciate it. Just insert the bolts as you climb.

I can put the drill and 14 bolts in the palm of my hand so you can imagine how portable the system is.

I gave my Grandson one for Christmas, when he was 14. He killed a buck, the first time he used it.

If you hunt with Loc-On stands, you owe it to your self to invest in the system.

Warren
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »
I love my woodpecker drill!I'm still amazed , how fast you can drill a hole ...even in hardwoods
www.safarituff.com  

2004 IBO World Champion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©