INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rapid Rails  (Read 403 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Rapid Rails
« on: February 02, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »
Think this forum is a great idea, I've got a couple of items that I think are some of my best purchases for enjoying my obsession...

Rapid Rails: strap on "ladder sections" for climbing to treestand height. website is  http://www.nontypicaltreestands.com/rapid.html.   Not too heavy, I like the 4 section set I bought cause I can comfortably climb to 16-20 feet depending on the tree. They strap on very quicly using a nylon rope that goes around the tree, fixed permanently to the section on one end and a rubber covered metal hook on the other. The rope uses the "chinese handcuff" principle; no tension on the outer casing of the rope and the core slides within the casing to adjust lenght.  Tension on the rope clamps it tight.  Very secure when climbing.  They stack together compactly but they don't provide a way to hold them together so I use a long ratchet strap to hold them together going to and from the stand. They gave me the incentive to put up multiple hang on stands and just tote the rapid rails around when going from stand to stand.  Great product, expensive but worth every penny.

JC
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline GoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rapid Rails
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
JC, You are spot on; Rapid Rails are without a doubt one of my best hunting purchases.  Very pleased with mine.  I like the ability to stand on the top of each secton w/both feet while setting the next section.  Also like the fact that there are no protruding "steps" that could impale me if I should ever slip.  All the best, GoBow

Offline Jethro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »
Just adding my 2 cents worth, I'm pleased with the rapid rails that I bought last year. They're light, fast and solid.

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »
Rapid Rails and the Non-Typical stands, as a system, have my vote for several years.

Now comes the sad news. I learned at the Harrisburg, PA Sports & Outdoor show that Wayne sold off to Ameristep. Word is that he stayed on as a design/consulting engineer or some such arrangement.

Really bad news is that Ameristep didn't have a booth with the Non-Typical stuff at the show that I could find!!! Again, from reports, and people who should know that are close to Wayne, Ameristep wanted a top line outfit to complement their existing products.  

So the question I have is: Where can we now buy the Performance Outdoor Products stuff?

I have the Outfitter stand and the Patriot lighter stand.  I had the 4 pack of Rapid Rails, plus an odd one Wayned dumped that were made shorter than the 4th one by mistake and didn't stack right... so he sold them cheaper. I find if I took only the longest 3, with my somewhat long legs, I could easily get up 20'!  I wanted another long section of the Rapid Rail, but no Wayne booth.  Now what?  :help:  

Have you been to his site lately?  When I clicked your link, it came up a dud! I didn't think to ask at the show about Rapid Rails as the conversation was largely about his stands.  I assumed that when he sold the stands, he sold the rapid rails and the company to Ameristep.  

Anyone know?  Thanks! I miss that ole cajun wild man already!  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
As Yosemte Sam would say "Cassenfrassen brackenfracken rassencrassen!!!!!" You know it NEVER fails....somebody comes up with something that is just right in my eyes then they discontinue or change it! I know the link worked when I first posted.  Hate to see ameristep get it cause I'll bet it won't make the quality of the stuff he put out.  Hope he made a good livin for his family out of the sale cause I got a feelin the rest of us will get the short end of this one.

Joe  :mad:

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »
JC,

:)  I don't think I could say what you quoted! You gotta have kids to quote Yosemite Sam!  :)

Wayne ran hard.  He was either on the road filmin hunts for advertising or on the road doing shows all over god's green USA.  I got to work for him a day here or there in our region before his one buddy started doing shows Full time with him.

Wayne would do H-burg,PA show for 10 days from 10 AM to 8PM and never leave his booth. No food. No potty calls..then pack up and head to another show.  I dunno how many years he did that.

I do not begrudge him an easier life, but like  you, I am concerned for the future of the stand and where the heck to buy any NT/Rapid Rails since Ameristep didn't seem to be marketing it at the H-burg show!  Other Ameristep stuff was there, but not Waynes stuff.   :mad:  

On the other hand, JC, maybe, just maybe, it will become more accessible.  Wayne, mfg the stuff himself, never had enough margin to wholesale to dealers.  If they start compromising quality, I don't think Wayne would stay on board long... not after what he put into that company, it's reputation and how hard he worked to build the business.

Being he ran his own "pole barn" manufacturing company and was away so much, there were constant issues w/ production that cost him $$$$.  I just hope his legacy lives on.  

I found that stand one year when he had the round swivel seat with the big NT on it. I was broke. Went several years at that H-burg show till I found them again with square swivel seats.  I was still broke, but bought the Rapid Rails in their curved format (had the straight ones but the new design was incredible improvement) and the Patriot stand.  Next year, I bought the Outfitter stand... then his deer cart. Then another ladder.

I even had someone trade me a 4-pack they didn't use and instead of keeping it, I sold it for what I paid for it!    :eek:  Talk about hindsight!  :(  

If  you hear anything, please let me know or post here on the Tradgang.  I will do the same.  I called Wayn'es house once, but predictably, nobody was home. I didn't get to call back yet!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Danny Rowan

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 04:50:00 AM »
Doc,

I just went to his site and it is up and running. I also called the 1-800 number and of course,being as it is only 5:00 am, got the answering machine. But it seems they are up and running. Hope so as I am ordering an outfitter stand and a 4 set of rapid rails tomorrow.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
Danny,

That would be excellent news.  Of course, keep us posted.  I'm not sure how that would be, but, then, who knows. The outfitter who always worked the show at Harrisburg and shared Wayne's booth was alone and told me what happend. He gave me a video that he and Wayne had put together.  I noted that Wayne was using Ameristep blinds to hunt turkeys...fwiw.

Several other trad buddies are vendors at the show and other shoots and the word among other tree stand sellers spread like fire so they were quick to tell me about the sell-out to Ameristep as I walked around .

If you can still order from Wayne, and are successful, please let us know, Danny.  I want to call Wayne, but just haven't gotten it done.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Danny Rowan

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
Doc,

I just ordered an Outfitter stand and set of Rapid Rails,called the 1-800 number and that was easy. Forgot to ask if the company was sold. The lady answered the phone as Performance outdoor products.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
Danny,

Yup. That is/was Waynes main company P.O.P.  Maybe he just sold the patents to the stands and/or Rapid rails and is now a distributor for them?  Quien Sabe? But I intend to find out. That lady would have been his wife.

I'm delighted to hear they're still available through Wayne.  I would think that the quality must be the same for him to sell them.  

Thanks for the cheery news.  I "have" to get that boy on the phone soon!  :)

dave

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »
Good News!  

I talked to Wayne and his wife tonite.  Things are hectic during the transition, but Ameristep wanted a top end line of stands and Wayne couldn't manufacture enough to ever put on dealers. There were always mnfg.problems while he was away peddlin what had been made that  was a vicious cycle.

Now, Cabellas, Bass Pro, etc. are signin on to be dealers. Ameristep will manufacture them under a license agreement so that Wayne can control quality and expand his network and they'll be easier to buy.  Now Wayne can get back to designing great products, too!

Other Good News:  His "show special" price is in effect on his remaining inventory they have in stock in Searcy, AK.  Anyone wanting a "good deal" on originals, should call soon.  When he sells off what he has, he's done and Ameristep and dealers will be the only source.

I didn't dare ask new product price point under this new arrangement, but I'd feel safe to say that it would be wise to see what he may have left and buy NOW!  I know I'm going to stock up!

Thanks to Danny for alerting us that all is not lost!  Thanks, Danny.  You got a good deal as his show price is usually quite a bit better than his retail!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »
I'll be using Rapid Rails with a Treesuit this year for all my stand hunting. I'm trying to decide on what pack to buy so I can carry all this stuff in the woods together. Does anybody out there tie down their Rapid Rails to a pack when carrying?  Not sure if a fanny pack with shoulder straps would work or if I need a daypack. I checked out Bison Gear, Badlands and Blacks Creek packs on the web. Looking at the pictures, it's tough to decide which would work best.

Offline Mike/MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »
I've used the Rapid Rails for about 5 years and love them. They are light and very stable. The only draw back is they are a bit awkward to transport. I put them together with my stand which has back pack strapes but they do stick out some.

I just saw the Rapid Rails advertised in a recent Cabela's catalog. They appear to have a web strap system rather than the rope. They sell for $99 for 4 steps.

Mike
"Don't take life too seriously. It isn't permanent."

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »
Mike VB, I use a Bison Gear lost river fanny pack and the rapid rails for my fixed position stands.  I use one of those pull-tight straps (like for securing motorcycles in the bed of a truck) to keep em real tight so they don't rattle and then use a second strap I fabricated from an old duffle bag that allows me to sling it across my back (I don't use a back quiver). Very comfortable for a long walk in. I hang my stands prior to hunting so am only carrying the pack and rails.  If not, I'm hunting with my climber.

Mike/MO, sorry to hear they changed it....I thought the rope connection on the original models was perfect: light, fast, secure.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004, 10:37:00 AM »
JC and Mike/MO, thanks for your replies. I'm gonna order me one of those lost river packs. From what I've heard, they're very durable and comfortable. JC, you got me thinking of something I got in my garage right now. I have a torn truck bed cargo net with heavy duty bungies. Perhaps something could be rigged up to hold the rapid rails tight along with a motorcycle strap. I too like the old rope hitch on the rapid rails instead of the strap. Less chance of metal to metal contact while in the woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©