INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: W.C.Russell Boots  (Read 442 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
W.C.Russell Boots
« on: January 30, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »
Here's a boot that's sure "worth the money". Guess it might qualify as the Black Widow of the boot world.    :)    

I got my pair 13 years ago and they are in prime shape. Matter of fact I expect them to last another 10 or twelve the way it's going. So in the long run quality doesn't cost, it pays. (always)
Ordering a boot from Russell starts with a tracing of your foot outline. That mean that for people who are normally hard to fit, they'll get something that really does fit their foot and won't have to just "bear with it" till the boot breaks in.
Mine were comfortable right out of the box.
Then you have to decide which style you'll want. The boot I ordered is called the Mohican Stalker. The sole was very thin and what is called the Huez Vibram sole. What you might call a ripple sole. It makes for quiet, yet reliable footing.
There is no heel wedge so your foot is in the same plane from heel to toe.
This ended up being a problem for me. I have chronic back issues and I'd get all gimped up after a day in those boots. At first I did relate the two, but finally figured it out.
The solution came from a friend who suggested I have what Russel calls a "Turkey Wedge" put on the boot. It raised the heel of the boot slightly and cured my back issues. After market service was friendly, fast and accurate. You can buy this boot with wedge under the name South Forty Bird Shooter.

The boot is made of some of the finest leather I've ever seen and they use plenty of it. The boot is 9" high and made in true moccasin style.
In other words, the foot is completely surronded by a single piece of leather with the bottom and sides comprised of another wrap around piece. The sole is attached to this last piece.
Though they are all leather in construction, they shed a surprising amount of water. My feet have never been wet in them!
I'm pretty good about caring for my leather stuff and cleaning with saddle soap and application of mink oil type products is all I've ever done.  W.C. Russell Moccasin
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Dante

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: W.C.Russell Boots
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »
I have three pairs of these and love them.  Then again...I have been referred to by my "friends" as the Aneldo Marcos (sp?) of the boot and shoe world.

Just to let you know how great these boots fit...I wore a pair of Zephyr's to jury duty this winter and it was the FIRST TIME they had ever been on my feet.  There was a rare ice storm in Ft. Worth and traffic was shut down.  I ran the three miles to my truck in these boots and it was the first time they had ever been worn!!!

Now thats a custom fit.....

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »
Well!! just got my Russell boots today right at three months from the time I ordered. I got the 9" High Country hunter with vibram sierra wedge sole with 200gr. thinsulate. The workmanship is great and I have never had a pair of boots that fit around my ankle and calf area like these boots and I used to have my calk logging boots special made by Whites. The only problem I have is that the boots seem about a half size too big. I put hunting socks and insoles in them and have been walking around on the carpet trying to decide what to do, send them back for a pair a half size smaller or just live with it? Don't really want to wait another three months. Anyway these are quality boots for sure and worth the wait.

Offline Trinity Outfitters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »
Mike,

I have a pair I bought off their "Sale" list, which is both customer returns and stock sizes.

If I were you, I would definitely send them back--Russell should put your "rebuilds" at the top of their order list.  Great people and great boots, but you should never have to settle for anything less than a perfect fit when you order "custom" shoes/boots.

Todd
"I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."  John 10:10

Offline osage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »
I have been wearing thier boots for over 10 years, still wearing the 10 year old pair and three other pairs. I hunt in a pair of the Trackers with no sole, i can wade creeks, or any water as long as it does not go over the top and never get my feet wet, the only leather boot i have tried that works that way.I bought a new pair back in the spring 12" tall, they fit perfect, the most comfortable boot, and the only boot i will own

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »
I have a pair also and they are as good as it gets.I have the crepe soles for stalking and they are deadly quiet.
The review I did on them is on my site
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:58:00 AM »
Charlie..just checked them out.

Got one question?...how stiff is the last in these boots?

I've gotten to really liking the stiff lasts in most what you'd call true 'hiking' boots.  Really aids when climbing.

Can you get a custom lasts?
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
T... I find the boot is plenty stiff which seems odd for a boot this comfortable.

For climbing around in rocks they...er... rock!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
Terry,
I've got a pair of the double zephyr's. I don't wear them hunting cause I usually do the knee high rubber boot thing. I wear them basically everywhere except when I'm at work. They are incredibly comfortable and if I ever wear them out I'll have another pair on order immediately.

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline B.W. SHOOTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »
Got mine a few days ago. I take my morning walks in them also I wore them all day on Saturaday. Today I wore my regular shoes to work and wished I had russells on all day. They are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I am getting ready to go the Colorads elk hunting and am glad I have these boots. I have always had problems with my feet hurting my Russell boots solved my problems. I am going to order work shoes next.
Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths Lead me in Your truth and teach me. For you are the God of my salavation. PSALM 25; V 4,5

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »
Just got my TLC woodcocks with phoenix gumlight soles last week.  They are all I expected them to be and more.  I had heel counters put in for added stability and I am truly impressed.  I have silly feet-I have always worn 10.5 or 11 wide (EEE).  Russell told me I am a 9 (EEEEE)--that is 5 E's!  They said I have to buy long to get the width on off the shelf boots.  These are the first pair of shoes I have ever had that really fit.  First rate.  I usually wear out a pair of $150 Rocky or Cabela's boots every other year-I put quite a few miles on deer scouting-so If I only get 4 years out of these I'm even.  I expect them to last much longer.  It is nice to see real American workmanship these days!

Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©