INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: ultra light stove and pot  (Read 411 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
ultra light stove and pot
« on: January 28, 2004, 02:29:00 AM »
Picked up snowpeak giga power stove for this last falls sheep hunt along with a Titanium pot, snowpeak trek900.  Money well spent.  The bigger canisters of fuel lasted 2 guys cooking 2 dinners a day,  and breakfast every other day for almost a week.  

Previously I was using a whisperlight shaker jet and a msr pot.  It has its place  (really cold weather) but for the ultra light guy, its to much.

Offline kybowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ultra light stove and pot
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »
How big is the cooking surface? Fold up right?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »
Isobutane/propane mixture.  one does good in cold one does good at high elevations.  There thought was it would do good in both.  So far its done really well although I havent had it up in high elevations per say.  Its been below freezing more then a few times and works great.  The bigger bottles 7.76oz is what we had that lasted a good bit of time. We carried 2 of these and 2 of the smaller tanks, plus had some at our gear stash along with an extra stove.

Ky,

yes its the fold up.  Its fits the trek 900 pot very well (exact size I've never measured).  Msr has a titanium pot very similar, however it doesnt have 'amount' markings like the snowpeak does.  Plus the 7.76oz fuel bottle fits inside of the trek 900 along with the stove.  The lid however doesnt lock on, it has a carrying bag.  I'd also carry a hanky to put down inbetween the metal fuel bottle and titanium pot.  We normally carry a cotton hanky on our back packing hunts and it worked perfectly.

Total weight of the stystem, minus carrying box for stove and mesh bag is

stove,  3.75 oz (non titanium model)
fuel   13.1 oz full (5.3 oz empty)
pot     6.2 oz  Titanium model

Total weight = 23.05 oz

not quite 1 and 1/2 lbs  

Take the smaller fuel bottle for very short trips, the bigger canisters for longer trips.  We planned on 1 big canister per person per week according to the burn times.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
the stove or pots?  I believe the stove ran me 45 bucks.  The pot I dont remember....

Offline kybowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 02:23:00 AM »
I bought mine locally.  Here is a link to it at snowpeaks page.  YOu can find the trekk 900ti also on there....

http://www.snowpeak.com/Gear/stoves_index.html

I didint think it was worth the titanium in the stove but if you are really pinching weight, .75 of an oz is worth the extra 30 bucks as OZ add up quick....  

I also have the manual stove.  Couldnt see the use for the auto after playing with it at the shop.  Just didnt seem like it was worth the risk of not packing matches or a windproof lighter.

The asking price on that site for the trek 900ti is 45.95

Offline Steve Bell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
I bought one of these stoves in '99 for a CO elk hunt, money well spent. No altitude problems with it, though we only camp at 9500 feet. I had my water at a rolling boil before my hunting partner had his whisperlight fired up, he now owns a snowpeak. Mine has the auto light (that's the only model they had in stock at REI when I bought it), it has never let me down although I still carry a water/windproof lighter. I take one small pot with me and the stove stores in the pot with a few other small items, and I run a heavy rubber band around the pot to hold the lid on, it works out real good.  :thumbsup:
There's no such thing as bad weather....only bad clothing

Offline rc shealer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
There is a new stove/pot set up out uses the same iso/butane type canisters.  Boils a good bit of water in 90 seconds.  Saw it at a outdoor vendor table last night.  EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) carries it.  Forget who makes it.  Pretty slick though.  Everything nexts in the pot and it is insulated so you can pick it right up.  Lightweight and has the piezo ignition system.  I have the snowpeak deal and am very happy with it but it might be worth looking into the new system mentioned if getting something new.

Offline BunneyHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
Another good one is the MSR Pocket Rocket, its under a pound including a cnaister( abot 3 ounces for the stove). It bouilded water fine, i use to take it to school wheni attended SWTC to cook lunch with it. It uses Isobutane canisters, i think i bough tmine on sale at $25 from REI.
>>>---Mike-------->                    
"The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way." Mark Twain

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©