INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Steppladders  (Read 404 times)

Offline bob@helleknife.com

• Trad Bowhunter
Steppladders
« on: January 28, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
Jim Stepp makes...I guess they are called...Steppladders tree steps.

I really don't have a lot of experience with tree steps.  Those I have tried have been lacking.  Also saw a guy fall when a tree step pulled out; turned me away from treestands for a number of years.

I tried Jim's tree steps this year.  They are a strap on step that "cams" over and it very secure system.  Also my feet didn't cramp if I stood on one for any length of time.

Don't know Jim, never spoken with him but it sure seems to be a good product for me.

Ron LaClair suggested I give them a "go" and he was right.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steppladders
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »
Bob...are they individual steps or like a Rapid Rail thing?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
Charlie,

Individual. I'll second them. You use a special knot that once learned can be done in the dark easily. It causes the step too cam over nad LOCK solid.

The knot is really simple and the emblem is a copy of it so when "old timers" sets in you have picture right in front of you.

Offline joel smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
this is a great product. I've been using mine for three years and gotta say I feel more secure on these than any other i've used. They lock up on the tree good, if you find they need to be a little further one way or the other you just cam them up, move 'em and cam 'em back down---you don't have to unscrew or untie anything. One of my favorite things about them is that I can put both feet on one stepp so i don't have to use so many. They're quiet to carry and put up and the shoulder bag/dispenser makes carrying and climbing easy. One last thing--Jim intentionally designed them so you HAVE to use a climbing belt so you're gonna be safe from ground to stand---I like that cause sometimes i do stupid things if I think i can get away with it
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline bob@helleknife.com

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »
Yep, Dan and Joel are both right on the money.  

The only improvement needed is the storage/carry bag is a bit on the small size.  Works great when you are in the garage tinkering around but when "reloading" in the field it would be nice if it was a little larger.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline PJMoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »
Has anyone used these along with the Treesuit???

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
Just heard from Jim...he's trying to see if he can make it to the B-more Bowmen Tradtional shoot in mid May... not sure yet but I gotta take a 2nd look at these babies...never was good at knots...like the chinese handcuff arrangements better in the dark when climbing!

Gotta see once...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »
I use the steps, like the steps(wish they were a tad bigger), and can put them up a tree without problems. But....is there a secret you guys use to loosen the knot when taking down the steps? Seems after I've locked 'em down and used the same stand for a couple of weeks, the knot is very hard to loosen up. How do ya'll handle that?

Thanks
Joey Ward

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »
Gee, Joey...

I hope you get an answer.  I'd be very interested.  As stated, I have trouble with knots anyway, especially in the dark climbing a tree.  If them buggars then get tight to unloosen, I can see me coming down some cold night after dark, having to haul out the stand and steps and reaching for the Spyderco knife! :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
Doc, Jim e-mailed me and suggested that I make sure I'm not capturing the line around the tree inside my knot on the step. He says that will cause not being able to loosen  the knot when you un-cam.

May I suggest a Streamlight Trident. It's a headlight that enables hands free in the darkness. Has one green LED, 2 white LEDs, and a krypton bulb. The green LED gives plenty of light for entering and exiting your stand and allows you to keep your night vision. The LEDs allow extraordinary battery life. One of my most important pieces of hunting gear.
Joey Ward

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks, Joey.  

Now to write it down so I don't forget it till I get where they sell them. I bought some gizmo from the local "mountainering" store and to go from focused to wide angle, you had to unscrew the lens and change reflectors!!!  I took it back! Bought this other one and it focuses with a twist, but I'm not happy with it.  

I'll have to try to find one of these you speak of--hate keep spending that kinda money on lights that look good but don't suit me in the dark.  Why don't they have dark "rooms" where you can try out such stuff at retail shops?   :)

I'd have to learn Jim's knot first to understand what you said... I hate knots.  Love hooks and chinese handcuff pull through set ups!  LIke on Rapid Rails.  If Jim comes to B-more this year, I'll have to get him to show me personally how to do it and practice in the dark right there!  :)  :)

dave

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »
Here ya go, Doc.

Streamlight Trident
Joey Ward

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©