INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Filson Double Mac  (Read 523 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Filson Double Mac
« on: January 26, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »
Now here's a hunter's coat! I got my Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser in late fall and was eager to put it through it's paces. The problem, as it turned out, was that it was too warm to wear until temps dropped to below 40 degrees.

Filson has a record of producing fine woolen clothing. The Double Mac is no exception.
It's constructed of 24 oz. virgin wool and I got mine in Forest Green. Just fine for tree stand work or any blind situation. It may be a tad dark for still hunting, but I'd bet it'll be just fine.

The coat has a "cape" sewn over the shoulders to middle shoulder blade in back and mid chest in front. Breast pockets are up under the cape which keeps things clean for bowstring clearance.
The sleeves are also a double layer, but are easilly kept clear of the bowstring with an armguard.
There are two front flap pockets down low which doubles the wool layer there. Two slash pockets make for a handy place to warm hands.
With a full map pocket sewn on back, it's easy to see why it's called the Double Mackinaw. Almost the entire coat is two layers of 24 oz. wool.

Once temps dropped down around freezing I put it to work. With a light polypro top and a light weight shirt or sweater it kept me warm through long periods of stand sitting in pure comfort.
Because of the tight weave Filson uses and the two layers it is very windproof.

It's so sharp that it almost feels "dressy" in the woods. As a matter of fact it looks good enough that I also wear it out on the town.

The price is not cheap by any means, but the quality is such that it'll be a lifetime coat. No doubt about that!
  Filson
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Tom Lagatol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Filson Double Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »
I've got the same coat as Charlie. Man do I love it as well. There was a thread on PowWow about a "go to bow", well that Filson is a "go to coat" when it gets really cold and windy. I've got good camo wool Iuse as well but for goin to town and not looking like I just walked out of the woods (we got a lot of those Peta jerks in my area) the Filson is just the ticket!  TomL

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »
I got one for Christmas about 4 years ago and love it!  Mine is the traditional plaid (red and black) and nothing I own keeps me warmer by itself.  I only wish they made it with a canvas or oilcloth liner for the game bag in back.  Charlie called it a map case but to me it is just like a game bag on a small coat so that is what I use it for.  I bet I could make my own liner from something like a canvas drop cloth and make it button inside the coat.  It would keep the blood and hair out of the wool.

They also make it in a medium light colored charcoal grey that would be perfect for hunting.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »
Dave... I'd have ordered it in the gray if it had been available. Guess you could custom order it, but that boosts the cost quite a bit.

Only available in Charcoal, Forest Green and Red and Black plaid this year.

P.S. The website where the picture I put up is stored is down right now.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »
I bought the Filson Double Mac back in 1989. I love it, and Charlie's review describes its virtues well.

I have really needed to wear it only twice. Back around 1993 Washington D.C. had a spell of incredible cold weather and sequential ice storms. Ice was 4 inches thick on, and in, everything, so driving was out of the question. I had to walk home from the Metro, about 2 miles. The wind chill was minus 45 degrees below zero. I got right to my front door, slipped, my feet went over my head, and I landed really hard on concrete. That danged Filson coat is so thick, I didn't even get a bruise.

The other time was still hunting around zero degrees. It was actually a bit too warm.

If I needed to survive a week in the Yukon bush in a downed plane, I'd want to be wearing the Filson Double Mac.

I paid $180 for it in 1989. It sells for close to double that now. I wish all my investments had doubled in value!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
I need one tonight in the low 20 s here tonight..mark#78  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 10:31:00 PM »
Don't have the coat; doesn't get cold enough around here.  I wear the black-gray plaid vest pretty much daily at work, though, and can't say enough about their product.  I get it dry-cleaned once a year, otherwise it just gets brushed off.  Wears like iron, plenty of pockets, and looks classy.  I have a second red-black plaid vest I wear during early fall hunts; seems to break up my outline just fine.  Filson is great stuff!

Offline Pignut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
I have the single Mac as well as the bibs and they take anything that the Maine winter weather can throw at them.  I found the double to be way to warm for me.  Of course my base layer of body hair is often enough to keep me warm.  Just to emphasize what's been said I think their finest attribute is the tightness of the weave.  Windproof and tends not to snag.  Dirt and blood come right off with a little water.  I've never had it washed officially but from what I know of commercial dry cleaning you would be better off to handwash and hang dry.  Best outerwear I think you can own.  Ohh and I also have their logger coat and their is no tougher piece of clothing than that thing.  Got it for 79$ and it wears like a shield.  Took about 6 years to break it in.

Pete

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »
Pignut, I'm just curious why you wouldn't dry clean.  Is it the odor?  I have a Timber Mac hunting coat that I haven't had cleaned or washed yet.

Offline MDbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 10:37:00 PM »
Just got mine in the mail today.  It has already logged 5hrs. of service.  This is the nicest coat I have ever owned.  2 of the hours were spent shooting, with an armgaurd the large sleeves never once got in the way.  Even though it is warming here in Maryland, the coat does a great job regulating temperature.  I highly recommend this coat.  It has a steep price tag, but when you put the coat on you know it was money well spent.

WM
Looking to buy RH Black Widow HS takedown recurve bows.  Please send Private Message.

Offline MDbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
I have found one thing it is lacking....

An inside coat pocket.

WM
Looking to buy RH Black Widow HS takedown recurve bows.  Please send Private Message.

Offline got2bowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Anyone wanting filson clothes should check out cranes country store in williamsburg Mo.They have the best prices around.They are listed in the filson catalog and they will ship it to you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©