Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow pulls away from Riser  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow pulls away from Riser
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
I must apologize for not getting back sooner.
First, another thanks to MoeBow. I had always needed to use a hard to very hard glove while shooting with the string on my finger tip pads. I tried what Arne said in this thread about the deep hook & no more painful fingertips, I can use a much softer glove & really feel when my release is right. I can even use a tab now, never could b4. Tabs aren't my favorite but it bothered me that I Couldn't use one, even thought I didn't.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I cured that problem by canting the bow. Or is this wrong..?

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 05:29:00 AM »
After taking some time off from shooting....I returned with spotty accuracy. Decided to switch to 3 under shooting and my accuracy dialed right in! I was grouping nice and tight out to 30yds. Then I realized the change that made the difference was not the 3 under but the deep hook I used while shooting 3 under...back to split finger w/ a deep hook and grouping well again!
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
With a split finger drawing style (one finger up and two under),I found the quickest way to eliminate this problem is to bring the bottom two fingers up against the arrow nock firmly and put very little pressure on the top of the nock with the top finger.

When I teach a first time shooter about finger placement its the first thing I show them.

Cures the problem for youngsters right off.
LPM

Offline skypilot39b

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
This is very typical of a new shooter just starting out. Hopefully this answer will get you started off correctly.

If you DON'T point your fingers back toward you....when the draw gets heavier, you are curling the fingers back toward you to help you with the weight.....and YOU are rolling the arrow off the shelf.

If you WILL point the fingers back at you to begin with, the weight will make the fingers UNCURL ...keeping the arrow ON the shelf.

I covered all this and reverse cant on The Bowhunters of TradGang DVD's shooting section.
thank you for explaining something I've been confused about, I'll give that a shot and we'll see what happens

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wolftrail:
Actually, by doing it the correct way, you can reverse cant and keep the arrow on the shelf.
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang  ~   Loop Addictions

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
i will sometimes pull the arrow off the shelf as i draw. Usually when this happens i find that i am cupping my draw hand, instead of keeping the back of my hand straight/flat.

Offline whitewolf77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I have also found that when I hold 3 fingers under the nock instead of 1 finger above that the arrow stopped jumping to the left. This also helped my aim.

Offline Veker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
I have a question pertaining to this also...
I noticed that when I am drawing, that if my fingers are touching he arrow nock, it will move the arrow to the left when seated on the riser and pulling it back.  When my fingers are looser and spread out more(index and middle finger not touching the arrow nock, but very close) the arrow will stay positioned correctly.  is this correct technique for positioning fingers around the nock on the string?

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
I just got back into archery about 8 months ago. I was practicing with a 30# bow. I switched to a 55# bow and the arrow jumped off on every draw. drove me crazy. canting didnt help. also I strained the tendons in my fingers/hand (scared me!)I read this thread and Terrys description of "point your fingers back to you and they will un-curl as you draw" totally clicked. Problem solved instantly. no more arrow jump,no more finger pain. thanks Terry. Now and then when it happens I just know what I'm doing wrong and instantly correct.
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline dahyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Never had this issue but so interesting to read!!!
Professional Sheepdog

Ausable 64" 45#
Grizzly 58" 45#

Offline mboustany

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
As a newbie to archery I have been having trouble with the arrow coming off the rest. Just found this old thread and look forward to trying a deep hook with relaxed wrist and hand to rotate the arrow into the shelf. Thanks everybody!

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
If you grab the string up on the middle of the second phalange of the middle finger and let it roll in the crease between 1st and 2nd phalanges while drawing (deep hook)  the string rolling movement through arrow nock will push the arrow secure against the bow shelf.
PS This rolling happens in first inches of draw or it can be done right before drawing, when you position the string on your "deep hook". I prefer to do it before drawing, but to each his own.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Originally posted by Wolftrail:
Actually, by doing it the correct way, you can reverse cant and keep the arrow on the shelf. [/b]
OK but I think I'll keep canting to the right.  Of course a proper hook does the trick.

Offline BijanO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
I used this today. Made the process much more streamlined as I was using my bow hand index finger to correct the arrow when it occasionally moved. More repeatable bow hand as a result.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©